Tuesday, March 20, 2012

[TCP/IP Sockets] Specified SQL Server not found

Connections, using ODBC (version 3.520) and from a couple web apps, to one o
f
my SQL Server 2000 systems (with SP3) had been fine until a couple days ago.
Suddenly some of my systems (but not all) are unable to connect to that one
server. The message when ODBC attempts to login into the SQL Server is:
Connection failed:
SQLState: '01000', SQL Server Error: 11001, [TCP/IP Sockets]ConnectionOp
en
(Connect())
SQLState: '08001', SQL Server Error: 6, [TCP/IP Sockets]Specified SQL Se
rver
not found
My web apps (including a web service) display a similar (though abbreviated)
message when the user is trying to connect to the SQL server to
login/authenticate.
From that same system that can't get to the first SQL Server, I can use ODBC
to connect to a different SQL Server with no trouble. I've tried Named Pipe
s
with no success. Enterprise Manager connects fine from other systems. I am
certain that MDAC 2.8 has been installed on all systems but, regardless, I
hadn't done any Windows updates on any systems for at least a week and no
MDAC/ODBC updates for a couple months.
What can I check or fix?
Thanks.
Jon
jlimmer@.gmbeverage.comOn the surface it sounds like a name resoultion problem. What happens if
you ping the SQL Server name from the web server. Does it return? Als try
ping -a <ip address of the SQL Server machine>. Does it return the correct
server name?
Can you connect from a DSN using the ip address of the SQL Server as the
server name?
Rand
This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.|||Very interesting, Rand.
I can ping the SQL server both using the server name and using the -a switch
(which does resolve the server name).
I also can sucessfully use the IP address in the SQL Server instance name in
the DSN to connect.
So, what does that indicate is the problem, if DNS is working?
Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment