Thursday, March 22, 2012

\\.\Tape0 is not a vaild Microsoft Tape format backup set

hi all
I am using Sql server 2000 with sp3 on Win 2003. Recently all of my nightly
sql server backups have started failing. Here is the error message I get with
it
The file on device '\\.\Tape0' is not a vaild Microsoft Tape format backup
set. Backup Database is terminating abnormally.
I am using HP dds-4 cartridges (40 GB)
How can I fix that?
Also how do I format my tapes?
regards,
AndreHi
Have you tried dropping the backup device and re-creating it? Will the NT
Backup recognise this tape device?
John
"Andre Gibson" wrote:
> hi all
> I am using Sql server 2000 with sp3 on Win 2003. Recently all of my nightly
> sql server backups have started failing. Here is the error message I get with
> it
> The file on device '\\.\Tape0' is not a vaild Microsoft Tape format backup
> set. Backup Database is terminating abnormally.
> I am using HP dds-4 cartridges (40 GB)
> How can I fix that?
> Also how do I format my tapes?
> regards,
> Andre|||No NT Backup doesn't recognize the tape. How do I drop and re-create the
device?
"John Bell" wrote:
> Hi
> Have you tried dropping the backup device and re-creating it? Will the NT
> Backup recognise this tape device?
> John
> "Andre Gibson" wrote:
> > hi all
> >
> > I am using Sql server 2000 with sp3 on Win 2003. Recently all of my nightly
> > sql server backups have started failing. Here is the error message I get with
> > it
> >
> > The file on device '\\.\Tape0' is not a vaild Microsoft Tape format backup
> > set. Backup Database is terminating abnormally.
> >
> > I am using HP dds-4 cartridges (40 GB)
> >
> > How can I fix that?
> > Also how do I format my tapes?
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Andre|||Hi Andre
If the NT backup does not recognise the tape, then it may not be SQL Server
that is the problem. Have you tried different tapes or re-installing the tape
drive?
John
"Andre Gibson" wrote:
> No NT Backup doesn't recognize the tape. How do I drop and re-create the
> device?
> "John Bell" wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Have you tried dropping the backup device and re-creating it? Will the NT
> > Backup recognise this tape device?
> >
> > John
> >
> > "Andre Gibson" wrote:
> >
> > > hi all
> > >
> > > I am using Sql server 2000 with sp3 on Win 2003. Recently all of my nightly
> > > sql server backups have started failing. Here is the error message I get with
> > > it
> > >
> > > The file on device '\\.\Tape0' is not a vaild Microsoft Tape format backup
> > > set. Backup Database is terminating abnormally.
> > >
> > > I am using HP dds-4 cartridges (40 GB)
> > >
> > > How can I fix that?
> > > Also how do I format my tapes?
> > >
> > > regards,
> > >
> > > Andre|||John,
You were correct. It was my tapes.
Thanks so much for your assistance.
regards,
Andre
"John Bell" wrote:
> Hi Andre
> If the NT backup does not recognise the tape, then it may not be SQL Server
> that is the problem. Have you tried different tapes or re-installing the tape
> drive?
> John
> "Andre Gibson" wrote:
> > No NT Backup doesn't recognize the tape. How do I drop and re-create the
> > device?
> >
> > "John Bell" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Have you tried dropping the backup device and re-creating it? Will the NT
> > > Backup recognise this tape device?
> > >
> > > John
> > >
> > > "Andre Gibson" wrote:
> > >
> > > > hi all
> > > >
> > > > I am using Sql server 2000 with sp3 on Win 2003. Recently all of my nightly
> > > > sql server backups have started failing. Here is the error message I get with
> > > > it
> > > >
> > > > The file on device '\\.\Tape0' is not a vaild Microsoft Tape format backup
> > > > set. Backup Database is terminating abnormally.
> > > >
> > > > I am using HP dds-4 cartridges (40 GB)
> > > >
> > > > How can I fix that?
> > > > Also how do I format my tapes?
> > > >
> > > > regards,
> > > >
> > > > Andre

No comments:

Post a Comment